Friday 16 March 2012

can you keep a secret


I have a secret.  I could list every person who knows.  That is the best thing to do with a secret, periodically take a mental roll call of the keepers of the undisclosed. Make sure new names on the list are checked with character references.  ‘Does not associate with other involved parties.’  I can’t let it get out.  This whole operation would fold.  Every time you bring a new person into the inner circle you lose a little bit of control.  You give it to someone else. You strip off a layer of armor.  My heart needs all the protection it can get.  I’m so careful I sometimes keep the secret from myself.  I can’t risk it.  So I will continue to hold my tongue, to keep mum, to keep quiet, to hide the effects.  To keep the peace.

2 comments:

  1. Of all my friends, I'm the least likely among them to betray confidences. If there are any upsides to being introverted, that's one of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is definitely a desirable character trait.

    ReplyDelete